Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Countdown to the Nutcracker

It's December already!  There are 16 days until the Nutcracker.  Rather hard to believe... the months have really flown by here.

Today was a pretty crazy busy day... just one of those days.  (Yesterday was too!  I've been on my feet constantly, I'm reflecting... rode the subway 8 times yesterday - lucky my unlimited subway pass expired after yesterday!)  It was raining very hard this morning when I left (a bit before 6:30).  I was rather proud of myself this morning, as I got ready in record time!  Last night I went to the Rockefeller Christmas tree lighting.  I was a bit off of the side of the stage and could only watch via a large tv screen that only broadcasted select things from the show.  The artists were all very talented.  I could see lights flashing around, and hear everything, but we were just a little too far off on the side.  Next year, I'm going earlier!

I only stayed until about a little after 8pm or so.  I had been doing work-study all afternoon (no rehearsals, so I was free) and it had been a bit hectic at the office, and as NYC is known for pumping the heat without mercy, very hot as well.  So yeah, I was a bit stressed out, though really excited for the night ahead.  It was chaotic when we got there, however, and we spent about 1/2 an hour trying to figure out exactly where to go amid more people than I cared to be bumping into.  I almost felt like a claustrophobic, which I'm not!  It was strange.  There were some points where you could not, if your life depended upon it, move.  But we finally got to a fair area and hung out there.  It was nice, but I had sort of a migraine and was super tired and dehydrated.  (And couldn't see!)  I had to catch a bus at 9:30 anyway, so decided to leave.  I met a friend of mine who is going to college in NYC right by Radio City... we had tried to meet but it was too crowded.  It was fun to be able to hang out a bit once we got away from the 1/2 million people (literally, no joke!) that were surrounding Rockefeller Center.  We stopped by Lincoln Center and it was lovely.  The fountain is gorgeous.  Carmen was playing at the Met.

So it was a nice finish to my day, albeit the headache.  I got home at 10:20 after a 10 minute walk home, and then had battle royal with myself: "to shower or not to shower, that is the question".  I finally convinced myself after much backpedaling that I could only shower then, and did so, and felt a lot better.  I then decided that I couldn't possibly wake up at my normal time and decided also to try to catch a later bus.

But pleasantly, this morning, I woke up refreshed and full of energy!  I got ready in 1/2 an hour and caught my normal bus.  Amazing, right?  I think it was because phycologically I gave myself a way out.  But these things just don't happen twice.  And you certainly can't plan it.

So that was fun.

And then, the walk to the bus in the pouring rain.

"What did I do to deserve this?" laughed a passenger boarding from the pelting rain.

"Nice day for a bus ride," replied our ever-accommodating and pleasant driver...

Good thing I took that bus, too.  It rained the whole trip and we got in 10 minutes later than usual, which got me in later than I usually do (though I wasn't late).

And then it rained all day.  I had no other rehearsals and had to make up on work study.  Heading over 3 blocks from the subway, I had to stop using my umbrella, as in every trash receptacle there were broken umbrellas, owing to the fierce wind speeds.  I had to stop and put my back to one horrible wind gust - so furious and full of pelting rain that I couldn't see.  And then I almost got knocked over - twice, by tremendous wind gusts.  It was certainly an adventure walking 2 1/2 blocks!

But the rain eventually stopped - by late afternoon.  And it got really cold.  So, now I need to check the weather and lay out clothes for tomorrow.  Tired and sore!!! 
We have off on Friday but have full schedules and rehearsals on the weekend, so I'm probably going home for Fri and then bracing for a looong weekend!

More soon...  pictures to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment