Sunday, September 26, 2010

City lights


Pier A, Hoboken NJ with NYC skyline in background



Panoramic view of Manhattan skyline from Pier A


A captivating Autumn moon rising above the city's skyscrapers

As you can see from the photos, I got the chance to see the amazingly beautiful NYC skyline on Friday evening.  I was on my way home, and actually wouldn't have seen it if I had caught an earlier train.  I could have taken a train around 6:30 and one at 7, but didn't want to miss the last class of the day - music.  Classes on Friday were quite long, actually - we had seven of them!  (Core dynamics, classical technique, variations/coaching, rep workshop, mime, remedial and music.)  I just missed the train at 7 - (connection to get there was too slow!) and ended up waiting until about 45 minutes later.  I was able to get out to the pier and see the lovely sights.  It was very peaceful and quiet - really quiet - even though there were other people out and about along the pier.  The water was quite active as well, and it was a lovely night.  Later I had a bit of a train ride home, but it flew by like nothing because I had engaging reading material.  I had a nice, albeit, short weekend home...took a class at my home studio, and enjoyed the nice weather.  I probably won't be able to come home every weekend - for now Saturday classes are optional, but we'll see what happens. 

It was funny on Friday, because our class ended up waiting a while for the mime teacher to come.  There was a schedule mix-up on her end, and she ended up being rather late.  So here we all are, sitting and chatting and otherwise amusing ourselves.  I didn't even realize how time was passing because I was talking to someone.  I guess somebody from our class went out and mentioned that we all were waiting.  Then Ms. Kirkland comes in with a bit of a furrowed brow and says, "We don't know where ___ (the mime instructor) is.  So, do you wanna learn the opening of Giselle?"  Of course we were all like "sure!"  haha.  She got the music together and we pulled off our warm-ups and got skirts on.  And then the mime teacher walked in, so of course we would have our mime class instead.    The mime teacher was all the while profusely apologizing and mourning coming late because there was a lot she had wanted to do in the class.  She thought it had started at 3:30, when really it was around 2:45 or so.  She was so at a loss and sweet that we all couldn't help laughing at it - even Ms. Kirkland!
"Oh well, next class!" Ms. Kirkland said, of learning Giselle choreography.
"But do you want to do that instead?" asked the mime teacher.
"Oh, no," said Ms. Kirkland, "I'm Exhausted!"  
Needless to say, we had our mime class!  And it was a lot of fun. 

So that's just a tiny piece of my week - I had really wanted to write more mid-week, but ran out of time in the evenings - and sometimes I selfishly need down time to myself!  Tomorrow I start another week, and I'm looking forward to it.  I'm especially looking forward to pushing myself a bit more, hopefully.  And I'd better keep my umbrella handy, because showers & T-storms have been forecasted. 

More photos to come, and hopefully my next post (maybe tomorrow) will give a more in-depth look into my daily schedule, with explanations for what each class is.  Is there anything that I haven't yet mentioned you'd specifically like to hear about?  Let me know in the comments below!
Time to start organizing for tomorrow...
~Bunhead

No comments:

Post a Comment