Sunday, August 21, 2011

GKA's 2011 summer intensive performance!

Yesterday I performed in the Gelsey Kirkland Academy end-of-the-intensive  performance.  It's hard to believe that it went by so quickly.  Everyone made a lot of friends, so of course after it was all over there were tears between many.  The show went very well - we were all really happy, and I think the directors were happier!  It's really true that a bad dress rehearsal makes for a good show - because that indeed was the case.  All the mistakes that had been made in the previous run-throughs had showed me what to watch out for and expect.  I really felt fully in control, able to enjoy the moment and let the movement just flow through me.  At a certain point, you almost feel like you're on auto pilot.  You physically know the movement and choreography well enough to be able to work with emotional expression.  It's a unique sensation! 

My day started off with my waking up well before my alarm - at around 6:30 or earlier.  I had some this-is-the-big-day type nerves, and there was no chance of my falling back asleep!  I left at around 9:30 and walked to the Ailey building around 10 or so.  We warmed up ourselves a bit, and then a group warm-up class followed by a combined level technique class.  It was with a teacher that I really like, and was kind of hoping to be able to have that morning!  After technique we had a bit of a pointe warm-up/class, which was nice and felt good for me.  We got out at 1:25 (the 2:00 show was looming!!) and hurried downstairs for a brief pre-show meeting with the directors, instructors and students.  Ms. Kirkland told us "I know we will enjoy the show today."  Both she and Mr. Chernov were encouraging to all of us, and as the student body, applauding her heartfelt words, as well as the efforts of our instructors, directors, fellow students, and the entire summer, I know we all felt united in the special time that is the last few minutes before a performance starts. 

The show was set to start at 2:00PM.  The house was open, and nerves were definitely starting to run high as the controlled chaos of everyone getting on costumes and makeup commenced.  Many of us had already done our stage makeup before technique class, but...  when you're working hard, it all sweats off! 

My levels' first piece in the performance was a Spanish character piece with music from Carmen.  It was a good icebreaker and miraculously went really well for me.  (Some of the turns had been a bit awkward!)  The seating at Ailey is really steep and the audience is so close.  I recognized a lot of people - as I could see a lot of faces easily!  I either kept my focus very high or direct. 

Our second piece, a variation from La Fille Mal Gardee, (girls only) had a slightly difficult start, due to a small side wing area (almost NO room) and the fact that 20 some dancers were exiting the stage from a very large and lively Scotch Reel group piece.  Many of them were exiting in the same wing as we soloists were coming on.  They were just finished almost getting through us as our music was starting...  but thankfully, all went without a hitch.  It was a lot of fun, I stayed in line... we were all happy afterward! 

Our third group piece was the Friend's Waltz from Giselle.  It went really well - just as we had rehearsed it.  That was the piece that I really felt like I was on sort of an auto-pilot setting - but in a good way - not checked out, but in control and working more with expression/emotion that worrying about the next step.  It was really nice to wear and work with the romantic tutus.  So pretty.  The audience (primarily parents!) was very responsive, so that was nice as a performer to experience.

Our level next came on for the finale, which consisted of a series of polonaise to a bow, then exit off the stage.  We then level by level ran onto the stage to form line by line, each level of the summer intensive -- some 121 or so students on stage!  We were joined by the directors and instructors in the audience who were called to the stage.  The directors were so, so, happy - Ms. Kirkland, the first one to speak to us on the microphone, expressed how beautiful it had been, her voice slightly breaking in happy emotion.  They applauded us, and we them and our instructors, who had been called onto the stage from the audience, while our also applauding audience stood on their feet.  It was a really beautiful moment of collective gratitude, respect, joy, and appreciation between so many people.  The shape of love - bringing together so many as one! 

Needless to say I was fairly drained afterward.  I was surrounded by a lot of crying classmates and emotion that is the end of a summer intensive.  I hadn't eaten really anything since breakfast as well.  Walking back to the metro with family and friends I felt a bit like an expressionless rock, but luckily that passed once I was in the car homeward bound, and discussing the show with my parents!  I'm looking forward to watching the video when it is available - it was a really great show.  And now, too soon, it's all over, but for now I'm content to enjoy the rest of the last few weeks of summer! 

1 comment:

  1. My daughter Esther was in the same dances and spoke of you kindly. She misses it terribly and is determined to go back somehow. It's hard to come home leaving all that excellence behind.

    ReplyDelete