Saturday, November 13, 2010

Train ride

It was a Saturday in October when found myself on a train ride home, rather bored and realizing that I had seemed to have neglected the fact that I would be taking a train ride and therefore would need some form of an occupation - i.e., a book.  The boredom soon ended as a large group of girls from ages 10/11 to 13, it seemed entered the train with parents or guardians.  There must have been about 10 girls or so - and they were loud, causing many in the train to crane their necks repeatedly back towards the end of the car which they had just filled.  I didn't have too much more to travel when I began to record their antics via notebook.  The girls were obviously well endowed financially, demonstrated by both actions (blunt statements) and appearance, with each well dressed girl fussing over their own personal blackberry.  They were unafraid to make noise, though let me specify it was "just being kids" and not spoiled behavior, though it could have been controlled a bit - laughing, talking, screaming, shouting, squabbling - and being generally really loud, especially for a train.  I wasn't sure who was with them all, but soon put together that the two women talking behind me (and primarily ignoring the noisy girls) were parents of some of the kids.  One of the girls had said "mom" at some point.

I didn't have too terribly much longer to go, and wondered when they were getting off.  They without a second thought were perfectly comfortable in engaging often with the conductor, who for some reason passed back and forth through the car most of the trip.  The minutes ticked by slowly.  I was amused primarily by the girls, though some mini scream fights amid the hyper chatter broke out now and then.  I picked up there was some birthday event bringing the group together - a thirteenth birthday of some girl, who I don't think was in the group.  As I glanced back, I noticed the woman behind me, who in brushing her hair off her forehead revealed the massive diamonds on her ring finger.  Across the isle and one row ahead were two men in conversation, in causal but nice dress (and watches), also associated with the group but like the women, seemingly unconcerned by their lively charges.  

The group prepared to get off, and exited at R_____.  I still had things to write, however...

"The train is silent and empty.  Now they sit outside huddled on one bench - I can hear them as the train pulls away.

I hear someone faintly exclaim by the door area.  The much-pestered young conductor ("Harry") comes back through the car.  I can't help laughing at him as he says "you know, I have a daughter, but..."  the rest in a loss for words on his part.

"Silence prevails", I say, laughing at his befuddlement.  He shakes his head with mixture of amusement, incredulity, and disbelief.
Funny. 
And now it's quiet.  Very quiet.  Only a few people talking can be heard.  Talking about music.  Taylor Swift.  "I love this song".

The train empties out as more and more people get off. 
Before long, the conductor rolls back the seats to face the other way.  Interesting, but loud.

8:27 PM and quiet except for the sounds of the train on the tracks.  Next stop is mine.  The conductor pushes back the seat in front of my so that it faces the other way for the return trip of this train.  It's spacious in front of me.  I'll be off soon, so bye for now.

Oh yes, the girls were singing Winter Wonderland...  "

No comments:

Post a Comment