Saturday, November 13, 2010

Daily schedule, Nutcracker rehearsals, and more

So, things have been busy for me lately.  Everyone has been in rehearsals for the Nutcracker.  I'm doing mice.  It's been a lot of fun, and is very physical.  After the morning classes there are rehearsals and supplemental classes for those not in rehearsal.  I would not give up the coaching classes for all the other rehearsals!  We have been lucky to have Ms. Kirkland teaching variations.  It's a bit surreal... I pinch myself most of the time.  In mime classes the teacher has given a lot of information about the Nutcracker - the time period (most likely for this version, 1805), the people (German) - how they behaved, interacted - how special Christmas was to them, and more.  It's been invaluable information, whether you are in the party scene of the ballet or not.  The production is going to be a splendidly authentic one, and I hope everyone will go see it!  Everyone learned most of the choreography, and casting was done after that.  It's been an enormous amount of work for the directors, who explained this week the number of people that they've had to cast - including some children - totals to 200 or so people - an incredible number seeing that most companies such as ABT, for example, have a standing number of 70 or so people at one time.  They've had to make sure that everything is well organized and fair according to talent and ability.  Everyone's working hard in a cohesive manner and there will be a great result.

My days are pretty full - I get up at 5:30 and usually get into the city by 7:40 (by bus).  From there I take the subway and get to the studios a little after 8.  My first class - a strengthening class called core dynamics starts at 8:45.  The technique (ballet) class is at 9:30, ending usually at 11, but sometimes 11:15.  Pointe is at 11:15 or 11:30, depending on when technique finishes up.  After that, we have lunch.  Sometimes it's really short - up to half an hour, and then sometimes an hour or hour and 1/2.  Yesterday we had a very long break.  It was nice.  In the afternoons we have rehearsals and supplemental classes - learning variations from ballets, honing in on aspects of the Nutcracker in mime class, or even drama classes.  I get home before 7 - if I'm lucky.  (It's a 10 minute walk/run home from the bus stop.)  If it's a work study night I get home a little bit before 9.  Then I eat dinner, shower, and prepare for the next day - organize clothes and food, etc.  I try to get to bed at a reasonable time - definitely before 11.  (I'm only one of a few commuter students in the whole school (probably can count on 1 hand commuter students), but perhaps eventually I won't be commuting so far.  The new bus I'm taking is under an hour, and is a really nice commuter bus, nice drivers too.  I take the subway in addition to that, but it's a breeze as I did it every day in the summer.)

So... it's not really glamorous.  Haha.  You work your butt off all day (or at least I do) and make a lot of sacrifices.  It's gets glamorous when you finally perform - which is coming up soon!  It pays off, of course, for I saw definite improvement this week, which was encouraging.  It's all one step at a time.  The program, instructors, and curriculum are all amazing, and I'll share more about what they are teaching me, (most wouldn't be understandable to the non-dancer - too technical) after I give it some thought.   Most days I get into bed and look at my clock, which also has the date, saying "oh, so today was the 11th"...  And the days pass by really quickly that way - not too quickly, but they don't drag on by, either.  Hardly!
More to come on the Nutcracker and my activities...  oh yes, in the season of hack and sneeze, stay well!

No comments:

Post a Comment