Saturday, January 22, 2011

Perseverance

I had an interesting week.  I might say I had a bad week.  But that wouldn't be true.  There isn't really such a thing as a bad week, though there is a bad day.  Not a completely bad day - but nearly rotten to the core! 

Frustrating, maybe.  Thought-provoking.  A day that comes along when you probe deep inside, "why am I doing this?"  Every dancer has that day once in a while, but it doesn't make it easy, even if you've felt it before.  

It's scary.  And it comes along for everybody, absolutely no matter what one's occupation is.  It arises with feelings of inadequacy, mediocrity (or fear of it), sensation of neglect...something along those lines.  One feels insecure about feeling insecure - about questioning core fundamental beliefs and asking "why".  It's scary to all of sudden feel indifferent or bored - like it's all too much.  Perhaps it's just too many "bad" events ganging up at once.  (Really, though - what's considered bad?  More just annoying compared to many problems of the world and the many humans in it.)  But it's just one horrible day that passes on, and the next, you're a mile high in the sky.  It's strange how it works that way...

I had a very good and productive day on Friday, however, which was a pleasant surprise.  On Friday morning I had a beautiful walk to the bus stop after the snow storm earlier that morning.  It was snowing at my normal wake-up time and I made it to classes late, unfortunately.  But despite my guilt over the matter, I stayed safe and was on the roads when they were much better.  (And that's saying a lot for my state!)  By the time I was out, the neighborhood looked like a living Kinkade painting, the sun shining, fresh fluffy snow glittering on top of the other two feet that was already there, and a brilliant blue sky that was absolutely stunning.  It was a gorgeous sight to see in the crisp cold air - lovely.  From there out it was a really good day - classes were great and fun.  I've had a nice day today too - good rehearsals this afternoon that worked up a sweat! 

Through the good and the bad, it can be hard to stay even, but really, perseverance is the key.  Count your blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment