Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow Day!

Yay!!  We finally got it - 12 inches of snow was enough to shut down the Big Apple.  Check out snowy New York

I am of course really enjoying my snow day.  I woke up at 5:30 and checked the bus line website where I saw from a time stamp of 10 minutes before that bus services were suspended until further notice.  After some digging and cross-checking I found that NYC public schools were closed for today with major delays for all forms of public transportation.  (Time to go back to bed!)  I slept well and woke up at approximately 7:29 after a pleasant dream where I had literally just said "I think it's a snow day".  I checked my school's website where it confirmed no school.  Yay!  I'm sure all my classmates who were saying yesterday it was going to be a snow day are enjoying relaxation just like me. 

We have a ton of snow - probably around a foot.  It was coming down like crazy last night, and when I got home around 8:30 the roads in the area were not plowed.  I'm guessing I'm one of the few buses to make it back.  The snow was soon really coming down again.  There were no cars out.  I didn't even wait for the signal to cross the street - the lone car that did drive by made no sounds because of the snow on the road.  After that, all was quiet, and I thought to myself, "what am I waiting for?" and crossed the street!  It was half snowing and icing as I walked home listening to peaceful Russian chant, and there was a surreal beauty with the snow on the trees and all around that was not to be missed.  Absolutely stunning heaven-on-earth - pure, holy, safe, peace.

Now the sun is shining and the wind is picking up a bit.  At about 9:30 snow-covered cars started to drive by, having finally dug out.  Only now are buses beginning to run on limited service.  Stay inside, pile up the fire, curl up with a good book or movie and enjoy the day buried in snow - if you're one of the lucky ones who can take a snow day!

No comments:

Post a Comment