Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cupcakes & Conversation

(A nice insightful article into the life of a dancer!)

http://balletnews.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/David-Cooper-2.jpg

       Jo-Ann Sundermeier, Soloist, Royal Winnipeg Ballet

     Photograph : David Cooper


Quick excerpt:  

What is your daily routine at the moment ?
On a typical day, I wake up around 7:30am, have breakfast and coffee, out the door by 8:20, arrive at the studios and take class at 9:30am. Rehearsals begin at 11:00am. Lunch is from 2:00-3:00pm. Back to rehearsal from 3:00-6:00pm, then head home for dinner and some downtime with my husband and doggy! I usually try to get to bed around 10:30 or 11:00pm.

What do you eat during the course of a typical working day ?
I start off with 2 cups of coffee and cereal. We have a few breaks throughout the day (between rehearsals) to grab a quick snack, so in that time, I usually have yogurt, fruit, almonds, a granola bar, etc… For lunch, it’s either leftovers from the night before, or I’ll go out and grab some food from the local cafe. At dinner time, I have to have meat and veggies. I love steak and chicken, and I always accompany my meals with a big salad and another vegetable on the side. Do I eat dessert? Yes. I love sugar! But I try to keep it to a minimum. I won’t have it every day, but on the occasion I will!

How do you prepare your pointe shoes ?
I wear Gaynor Minden pointe shoes, so they don’t really need much preparation, just sewing on ribbons and elastics. Depending on the role, I would usually wear my shoes for a few weeks before show time, alternating between a few pairs. I never like to go out on stage with a new pair of shoes.

What would surprise people about you ?
When I’m not dancing, I’m very lazy. I like to watch TV, and sit around and do nothing.

Who inspired you to dance ?
I don’t remember who was the first person who inspired me to dance, but I have many people that I look at every day that inspire me to go that next level, and really push myself. I also like to watch videos of amazing artists around the world, to remind me that, although ballet is a small world, there’s so much more out there! I find watching great dancers inspires me to be great!

What is your best piece of advice ?
“Just have fun! You know, life is short…make the most of it."  "
  


No comments:

Post a Comment